Another Laurel. I’m not sorry. I plan to make one in every colour, every print and with every customisation imaginable. Just because I can.
I used a navy and white polkadot stretch cotton for this one. It’s pretty thick so it hangs well with about 3% spandex to give it a very subtle stretch. I think this, however, has slightly warped the grain because no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the polkadots to line up on the seams. They were not running in a straight line. They may look straight but they are not. No, really. So print matching was not to be on this dress. It’s not noticeable anyway. The polkadots kind of dazzle the eye so that all you see is a big mass of moving white dots.
I made no further alterations to the main body of the pattern after my red linen version so this one came together really quickly. All I did was lengthen the sleeves to 3/4 length and I used bias binding tape to finish them. I used the same bias binding on the neck line. It’s from a packet so not a true colour match but I didn’t have enough fabric to make my own. I think it looks fine though. The dress closes with an invisible zip and a hook and eye.
This version has quite a retro look unlike my previous dress. That’s why I love this pattern – it’s a blank canvas that you can really make your own by using different fabrics and embellishments. I’d love to try it with some embroidery around the neckline. Maybe one with a collar; another with pockets; colourblocking; tartan…
I’m not done with this pattern. Nowhere near done.