Dotty Laurel

Another Laurel. I’m not sorry. I plan to make one in every colour, every print and with every customisation imaginable. Just because I can.

Image

I used a navy and white polkadot stretch cotton for this one. It’s pretty thick so it hangs well with about 3% spandex to give it a very subtle stretch. I think this, however, has slightly warped the grain because no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the polkadots to line up on the seams. They were not running in a straight line. They may look straight but they are not. No, really. So print matching was not to be on this dress. It’s not noticeable anyway. The polkadots kind of dazzle the eye so that all you see is a big mass of moving white dots.

Image

I made no further alterations to the main body of the pattern after my red linen version so this one came together really quickly. All I did was lengthen the sleeves to 3/4 length and I used bias binding tape to finish them. I used the same bias binding on the neck line. It’s from a packet so not a true colour match but I didn’t have enough fabric to make my own. I think it looks fine though. The dress closes with an invisible zip and a hook and eye.

Image

Image

This version has quite a retro look unlike my previous dress. That’s why I love this pattern – it’s a blank canvas that you can really make your own by using different fabrics and embellishments. I’d love to try it with some embroidery around the neckline. Maybe one with a collar; another with pockets; colourblocking; tartan…

I’m not done with this pattern. Nowhere near done.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Dotty Laurel

  1. Pingback: Floral Linen Laurel | clootie dumplings

  2. janeyo

    Hey hun,i love your Laurels and am about to make mine, is it really so big?how much would you size down, i like the fit you ended up with -dont want squeeze but not a tent either xx

    Like

    1. Thanks! It’s a great dress pattern. I find Colette quite roomy. I think I made a 6 at the shoulders grading to an 8 at the bust and down. I also made a few more tweaks – moving bust darts down (1 or 2″, I can’t remember!), narrowing shoulder width and forward shoulder adjustment. It’s not a huge effort to make a toile for this dress since it’s so easy so I’d recommend that first. Good luck!

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s