Three Sorbettos

20150122_114949    20150122_114653    20150122_114841

Things have been slow on the personal sewing front since having my second baby in the summer. Several factors are hampering my stitching  – lack of time, demanding baby, the usual…I’m sure many can relate to this! However, the main issue is breastfeeding and the very negative effect that it has on my daily wardrobe. I can’t wear my dresses unless I want to strip to feed – no thanks – and while I could be stylish in a nice top it is all too easy to reach for a comfy jumper in the sleepy haze of morning. Oh and it doesn’t help that it is currently freezing outside! Now this shouldn’t really stop me from forward planning – I do have some ideas in the pipeline for the Colette Peony and Moneta dresses, McCalls 6696 shirtdress (love it!) and a pencil dress in african wax cotton (I got loads from my lovely friend who works in Kenya) – but there is no point in trying any new patterns until I have stopped nursing and my body has bounced back to normal. I made that mistake two years ago when I fitted a Burda jacket – FBA and all – only for it to be too big in the bust when my body changed post-nursing.

Now…as sewing is highly addictive and one must continue to sew, the best way around this is to sew some repeat patterns.

Enter Sorbetto.

20150122_114949

I made this first one a couple of years ago out of an old French Connection tunic that was headed for the bin. It was intended as a muslin and and I had plans for others which never did materialise. Although a muslin it is very wearable. The fabric is a nice, soft chambray and despite the hideous painted plastic buttons (which I have bought replacements for) it is not a bad wee top. I think I cut a size 6 and did an FBA of around 1.5 inches however I can’t be entirely sure since I traced around the modified pattern pieces and didn’t write down the changes I made. I’m pretty sure I also dropped the bust dart by a couple of centimetres as I normally do with Colette patterns.

20150122_114653    20150122_114841

The following two were made recently. The first is a beautifully soft viscose with a lovely drape and an infuriating unwillingness to stay crease-free. Ironing it is like painting the Forth Road bridge – by the time I have made it to the back the front has crinkled again. I’m sure I could spend my life standing at the ironing board trying to tame the thing and for this reason it may not get that much wear however lovely it looks. The second is a shiny polyester – much more practical from a washing and ironing perspective but probably not so good on a hot day! On this version I did a slight dipped hem at the back. It looks incredibly wonky in the photo but it is not in real life.

Both of these tops were stash sewing but I like the pattern so might invest in some summer appropriate fabrics. It might be January but I live in hope that the frost lifts eventually. And at least in the meantime I am sewing something – anything – for myself. There will be more to come…

Advertisements

Ottobre jersey tops for the boy

DSC_0806   DSC_0814

I recently discovered Ottobre Design magazine in WHSmith in amongst all the dull crochet and cross stitch magazines that seem to be stocked everywhere (seriously, who buys them?!) I grabbed it without hesitation, despite the eye-watering price tag, figuring that with so many patterns it’s got to be good value for money. Now that I’ve made something I can say I’m really happy with it and look forward to making more. There are loads of lovely and practical clothes for kids from babies up to teens so it could get a lot of use. Even the tracing wasn’t as much of a chore as it usually is (Burda I’m looking at you…) probably because being child-sized the pattern pieces fit on my cutting mat and I did’t have to shift the paper around as I was tracing. Last year I made the Made by Rae Flashback skinny tees but despite cutting a size MUCH bigger than the age of the boy (I know he’s big but really…) he didn’t get much wear out of them before they were straining to cover his poor wee pot belly. Ottobre sizes are based on height rather than age so it’s easier to select a size that will fit without being derailed by the age guide.

DSC_0804    DSC_0807

The pattern is the Mushroom jersey top from the Autumn 2014 issue in size 98 cm. As with last time, I used organic cotton jersey from Kitschy Coo. This stuff is lovely. The woodland animals are a hit with the boy and he gets loads of compliments when he wears the top. The second one is my favourite though as the stripy cotton is amazingly soft. Both tops used just under half a metre of the main fabric and are finished with organic cotton ribbing for the neck band and cuffs.

As an added bonus the stripy top has welt pockets!

DSC_0827

It’s the first time I’ve done this with a knit but they went together without any hassle. Ottobre instructions are as detailed as Burda – that is, not at all, so if you are a beginner you might struggle to follow them. Best to consult your instruction manual of choice for help with this stage. Hopefully my construction stands up to the extreme conditions posed by this wee man…

DSC_0811

So there you have it. Two more practical, cute AND organic cotton tops for the boy. And this time they fit better and, hopefully, for longer.

Coming soon…more sewing for me again, YAY!