I’m pretty chuffed with this jacket. This is the Papercut Rigel Bomber, planned, bought and cut out sometime in…mmmh…March? Okay, so, I have a very annoying habit of starting a project, and then starting another one before the previous one has finished. Now, I usually finish all of those projects eventually but not always in a sensible order. And that’s just the projects that I actually start. There are many more in my head or in my stash pile waiting for their turn on the cutting mat. I partly blame my current lifestyle. With two very small children I don’t have much time to sew. I snatch a couple of hours in the evening and, if I’m lucky, a couple of hours on a weekend morning. It’s certainly not enough time to realise all of the sewing plans in my head so that nice orderly queue of patterns and plans becomes a bit of a rammy as they all jostle to be next on the table. What I need is a deadline! This deadline comes courtesy of Karen at Did You Make That who launched the Made Up Initiative to raise money for and awareness of the National Literacy Trust. This is a cause that really speaks to me as an English teacher and a lover of books. In my day to day I am on the front line trying to improve literacy in my pupils so it’s something I feel passionately about.
Now onto the jacket. I saw this wonderful fabric before I thought of the pattern. It’s a hefty stretch cotton from Fabric Godmother with this amazing granny floral, painterly print. It’s a bit grungy, a bit new romantic and a big bit 90s. That’ll be why I like it so much! I stored it in my head for a while (along with about 200 other bits of fabric and several patterns) but was never really sure what to make with it. Then I saw this by Sally of The Quirky Peach and I knew that I had to make a floral bomber jacket.
I made size S after reading a few reviews. Initially I graded out to M at the hips but when I tried it on for fitting I ended up taking it back out at the sides so that it is S all over. The only change I made to the pattern was adding lining. I wasn’t sold on the idea of a jacket without lining. I don’t like to see the seams and I also like to have that extra layer for warmth. It’s pretty cold here in Scotland, most of the year! It was easy to create a pattern piece for the lining. I just placed the facing on top of the front jacket piece and drew around it to create the lining piece, remembering to add the seam allowance for both lining and facing. I did the same for the back lining piece but also added a few inches to the centre to create a pleat at the back for ease of wearing.
The lining fabric itself deserves a special mention. I’ve been reading for years about rayon bemberg, the lining fabric of choice for many sewers, but could never find it in the UK because we use different names for rayon fabrics. After an evening of hard research I finally found it, or at least I think I have! This is cupro, short for cuprammonium rayon, commonly known by the trade name Bemberg! What a find! I bought black and cream online at Watson and Thornton, pre washed, cut and sewed, and I can tell you it is AMAZING! I hate, no, HATE acetate linings. They are sweaty and fake and I feel that if I am sewing my own clothes I should be making them better than the high street. No looking back now that I have found this stuff. It’s so soft and feels lovely against the skin, and importantly, it’s not sweaty! I actually lined my Floral Linen Laurel with the cream cupro but totally forgot to mention it when I blogged about it so here’s a picture.
So, thanks to Karen for making me finish this beautiful jacket. And thumbs up for the amazing job you have done to increase awareness of this great cause.