Up in the Clouds

DSC_0099  DSC_0106

This is my latest instalment of the Ottobre Design top from issue 4/2014 paired with trousers from the same issue and True Bias Mini Hudson Pants. I haven’t got a huge amount to say about the top pattern that you can’t see here…and I have also made the Mini Hudsons before. What can I say? When I find a pattern that works I tend to make it over and over. These two are my favs – relaxed, modern and fashionable. Wee Guy is a bit of a whirlwind so comfy clothes in which he can move around easily are definitely his preference. Wee Gal’s top and trouser set were not intended to look like pyjamas although, looking at the pictures, I can see that they do very much look like pyjamas. Not to worry, she’s a baby and is therefore oblivious! Sizes used are 104cm for Wee Guy and 86cm for Wee Gal.

DSC_0107   DSC_0102

The cloud print fabric is from Remnant Kings in Glasgow. It’s cotton with around 6% elastane, beautifully soft and very stretchy with excellent recovery. I love it. Now, here’s the problem with living in Scotland at this time of year…there’s no blooming’ light! I took these pictures after work at around 5pm and it was already too dull. So, you probably can’t tell that these tops are actually two different colours – pink and red. It’s very obvious in real life but sadly, in this land of diminishing light, not so obvious here. The ribbing is from my stash – it’s also cotton. The blue sweatshirting used for the Mini Hudsons was part of a fabric haul I found on Gumtree. I scored a huge pile of jersey fabrics, including around 6m of this one, for an absolute song. I don’t know what it is exactly but I suspect it is 100% cotton. I just realised too that my version looks exactly like the sample version on the True Bias website! A very happy accident.

DSC_0109  DSC_0110

The details… In an effort to make my knit clothes look as RTW as possible I’ve been adding a strip of binding to the inside of my necklines. I had a fair amount of trial and error to get a process that I was happy with but now I think I’ve nailed it. I use a strip of knit 2cm wide, stitch it to the seam allowance, fold down and edge stitch (still within the seam allowance) and then tuck under and edge stitch in place. This technique hides the unsightly innards while also stabilising the neckline. I then use the jersey stretch stitch on my machine to hem as it allows the fabric to stretch a lot!

And because kids are impossible to photograph these are the only pictures – out of about a thousand – that are not a flurry of blurred limbs.

DSC_0080  DSC_0074  DSC_0022

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s